Sunday, January 12, 2014

A year of words, a cloud of electrons

It feels strange to be here, in the half-light of a northern winter, bent over the glow of the screen again.  I draw words from the heavy soil, listen to the roar of the wind in the trees, stand on the step at the front of the house and watch the moon rise over the clouds which are tipped with white, like the edge of an Edwardian napkin.

I want again, as I did last year, to release some of these words into the void of the night, into the dark space of the world-wide web (how long since I have heard it called that?), hoping that somewhere they will stick, that they may find a temporary home.


I have collected together a variety of essays and prose pieces which have been published in other places in the last twelve months (plus the odd unpublished one), and present them here as an e-book.  The link beneath the photo below (or simply by clicking here) will take you to a pdf version of the book, stored on Google Docs.  Please feel free to download it, to pass it on, to print it, or simply to look at the photos.


With thanks to all of you who have commented, tweeted, or otherwise supported my faltering efforts to write in 2013.




7 comments:

  1. Oh! So lovely. What a gift on this Sunday afternoon. Thank you, Ian. And how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily - I hope you enjoy them whilst stuck inside in your mid-west freeze....

      Ian

      Delete
  2. Faltering - I don't think so Ian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comment. There was a falter between September and December, when I managed to produce very little (explained partly in the post below), but I start to learn that writing is not by any means a regular output thing.

      Ian

      Delete
  3. Out of the dark space of the web that floats around this globe fell this beautiful gem.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Frank - it's good to hear from you. I hope you enjoy it!

      best wishes

      Ian

      Delete
  4. I completely missed this post Ian so it's great to discover now. Thank you so much for collecting these pieces and making them available. Look forward to reading the ones I've not seen and rereading the others. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete