Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Cartographer


Let me tell you how easy it is to lose yourself.
I grew up believing that I always knew where I was. I placed my faith in the maps I learned to read as a child; the fine lines of stream and footpaths, the neat precision of churches with spires or towers, or bus stations and railway stations. I imagined the land around me laid as as though from a map: the hills ringed with brown contours, the forests arranged in neat rows of lollipop-shaped trees. I saw the narrow yellow road leading northwards from the village of my childhood, and knew that I could travel that way with certainty, protected by the knowledge folded between the salmon-coloured covers of the map I read each evening. I travelled in my mind.
I studied maps endlessly. I believed that they held some inexpressible truth; that everything we knew and did could be codified by these symbols and colours. I looked for perfection, and found it more clearly in the paper representations of the world than in the untidy, chaotic land which sprawled about me. I wanted a map for every purpose: to find my way in an argument, to find a thing I had lost, to find love.
The more I placed my faith in maps, however, the less they seem to explain what I could see around me. They could not tell me why the walk along this lakeshore can be so different in sun and in rain, or why the path through the little park can seem like an eternity to a child, yet only an instant to a pair of young lovers. They could not tell me how to truly find my way in life.
I know now that the land is made from layers of memory; strata of dreams and regrets, romances and discontents, which accumulate over the years like the soot which blackens the walls of the buildings in this small town. I know that there is a strange and tragic history between its streets, and yet I still listen for its stories of hope, its echoes of love.
I sometimes wished that everything in the world could be mapped, so that it might be possible to follow the traces of tears, the nodes of heartbreak, the thin glowing threads of ambition woven like fairy lights between office and home, between restaurant and hotel. I picture these layers of emotion, stacked one on top of another, so that it is possible to see everything that has ever happened in this place; layer upon layer of meaning, the colours blending softly from marble white to slate grey, from ochre to sienna, like the thin salty residue left when tears dry.
I drew maps of my own. I listened to the whisper of lovers at dusk, and traced the lines of their heartache with my pen. I visited park benches and mapped the people who sat there, their hopes and disappointments. I watched the swifts sketching patterns in the summer sky and imagined that these, too, could be mapped: a web of shrieking, mercurial paths, each one random, beautiful, fleeting. I watched my love walk away from me, and I etched her slow walk across the fields with a line of the darkest grey.
I knew, finally, that I needed to get off the map. I left home without planning a route, walking a path which left the town through dense woodland, shaded from the heat and pungent with the summer smells of moist earth and the citrus tang of resin. At each junction I did not look at my maps, choosing instead the route which seemed the prettiest, the most interesting, the least trodden. By this way I walked towards open country, where no footprints pitted the baked earth. Standing at the edge of an expanse of bog and moss, I saw at last the delicate colours of summer in the hills, rather than imagining the contour lines which I knew would have circled around this basin of land like the remnant paths of circling peregrines.
I slept the night in a ruined sheepfold. It was a mild summer's evening, but as night thickened and grew colder, I unfolded the maps I carried and spread them over my body to keep off the chill of the dew.
When I woke, the sun had risen above the mountains and my quilt of paper had dried and wrinkled. I folded each sheet carefully and left them stacked in a shallow niche in the stone wall against which I had rested my head. I picked up the shallow beginnings of a mountain stream and followed it downhill, knowing that soon enough it would join another, and then another, gathering pace towards the beckoning river.


'Cartographers', a play co-written by Kim Moore, Lindsay Rodden, Joe Ward Munrow and Ian Hill, directed by Stefan Escreet, will be at the Theatre by the Lake in Keswick on 7 September 2013. For more details, see here


8 comments:

  1. Back again for another read of this beautiful piece, Ian. So delicate in its observations, poignant in its longing. I'm fascinated to know how this unfolds into a play, and I've love to see it performed. Good luck with the event!

    Julian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you, and to Matt also, for supportive comments. The play is still being written, and will ultimately bear little resemblance to this prose piece, although some of the themes are still there. It has been a learning experience, but a very enjoyable one - most satisfying of which is to work with other writers in a collaborative way!

      all best wishes

      Ian

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fascinating collaboration Ian. Like the idea of a promenade performance, subject to the variables of weather and place. A coming together of audience and performers at a moment in time beyond the representation of any map. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Collaborative writing is a fascinating experience (and I'm lucky to be working with one writer in particular whom I admire very much), and I'm a great fan of site-specific performances. Fingers crossed for some decent weather....

      Ian

      Delete
  3. Hi Ian, how was the event? Life has been full and exhausting over summer and I only just managed to pop in here. The Cartographers looks like it would have been fun - I like the sound of having to wear appropriate clothing for walking muddy paths. Theatre and adventure, collaboration and performance - exciting stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ws really pleased with it, thanks. I'm amazed by the skill and professionalism of theatre professionals - the actors and director in particular - who turned our collection of scripts into a delightful and thought-provoking event for the audience. The weather was atrocious for both performances (Keswick in September? What did you expect?), but I believe people had a lovely experience nonetheless. I hope your summer was enjoyable as well as exhausting

      Ian

      Delete
  4. Yes, as you saw from my recent blog post - it was a magical summer. And I wanted to thank you for your comment because it feels so true. Although as a home educating family we tend to do the same sort of things year round, it is sometimes harder in term time to not feel some doubt when all of our friends are living such a different life. I hold on to my ideals and convictions in the face of uncertainty and look at my wild and free yet grounded children as evidence that we have chosen the right path. I often think it would be great to sit and share stories with you - I'd love to hear more about your family's home education journey. Thanks again Ian, it was a perfect comment at the perfect moment.

    ReplyDelete